Bài phỏng vấn Dr.Craig Mello

Ambion: For historical reasons can you give some details about the original 1998 study in C. elegans demonstrating RNAi ( Nature 391: 806-11)?

This paper was important as it was the first to demonstrate that double-stranded RNA can act as a trigger for gene silencing. Prior to this paper, Ken Kemphues, while working with his student Sue Guo, had noticed that preparations of antisense or sense RNA could inhibit the par-1 gene in C. elegans. Nobody knew how to interpret that — everyone was calling it antisense. My lab started using the technique and realized that it was not antisense and thus decided to give it a different name because of some of the other properties that we discovered. For instance, Sam Driver, a graduate student in the lab, observed that the interference effect could spread from tissue to tissue in the animal. He was learning how to inject, and we believed you had to inject into the germ line, which was the target for the interference. While I was teaching him to inject, like any beginner he was missing a lot, and I asked him to go ahead and keep those animals and we'd see what happened. The next day he checked, and sure enough the interference had spread into the germ line from the site of injection. We then went back and intentionally missed the germ line and showed that we could get interference that would, in fact, spread throughout the animal. This was remarkably potent interference using very small amounts of RNA. We could dilute the RNA tremendously and still have an effect.

The other thing that was really remarkable was that you could have the interference effect skip a generation and affect the next generation. This observation was really the one that made me decide to have my lab work on it and to call it something different. Clearly, anything that could be inherited and transmitted for more than one full generation was truly remarkable and deserved to be investigated further. Also incredible was the fact that worms could transmit the interference effect via the sperm even. These experiments were done with another graduate student, Alla Grishok, who showed the interference effect could be passed via the egg or the sperm and that the interference effect was transmitted as an extragenic factor and did not require the target locus. We were still not sure at this point if this was siRNA or the effect of some longer double stranded RNA. We presented at a couple of meetings, and at one of these meetings Andrew Fire came up to Sam and I and suggested that it could be double stranded RNA that was initiating the interference effect. So really, Andy deserves the credit for thinking that it was double stranded RNA. We didn't think it was, quite honestly, although I think that Sam had been leaning that way. Together (with Andrew Fire) we were able to test several of our genes, and it became clear that dsRNA caused a much more potent effect.

Ambion: By December 2002, RNAi was named as Science 's "Breakthrough of the Year". Did you anticipate the widespread use of RNAi?

I'd have to say absolutely not. I felt like there was something potentially useful, in that C. elegans had this remarkable response to dsRNA. But back in 1998, there was no reason to think that this would work the same way in other organisms. Although, of course, we speculated that it might and even patented the idea that it might. But I think a huge amount of credit goes to the people who took it into other systems and demonstrated that it could work. For example, Rich Carthew's lab was the first to show that it worked in another organism, flies. Then there was the beautiful work by the Sharp, Zamore, Tuschel group showing that they could get these activities in Drosophila extracts; and obviously Greg Hannon's work. These people deserve a huge amount of credit - and actually have gotten it (laughing). These were the people that developed the siRNA technology. Those were things that I think would have fallen out of the other work eventually, but they jumped right in and demonstrated it before we even understood the mechanism.

So it was a big surprise in retrospect. I can think back to how I felt in 1998, and that was, gee, we have to figure out how this works and see if there is some way we could get it to work in other systems because it is so great. But I never would have expected it, at that time, to be something that you could already do so easily. I thought we would need to study it a lot more and thought it would take a lot longer before it became applicable. It has been an absolutely amazing past few years when you consider all the developments.

Ambion: Has the RNAi phenomenon changed the direction of your research in any way?

It hasn't changed the overall direction, but it has generated a whole new direction. Currently, about half of my lab is pursuing our studies in developmental biology, cell fate determination, and control of cell polarity in C. elegans, while the other half is studying RNAi. So now there are really two synergistic groups in the lab. This has been a big challenge for me in the last couple of years, to really have to start a whole new lab. Until 1998-1999, I only had about three people working on RNAi. It was actually hard to convince some people to work on it. Hiroaki Tobara, who made huge contributions to RNAi with his genetic screens, really wanted to study developmental biology. I almost had to beg him to do his genetic screen, and he really came up with good ways of doing it.

So that is really how it happened. I convinced a few people and had some grad students that were interested. Then the post-docs started to trickle in; a few fairly brave post-docs that didn't feel the field was too competitive came to the lab. And that is where we are now. I'm by no means converting the whole lab to studying RNAi, though you could justify that because it is such an important and exciting field. But I think that having our developmental biology group has really been an asset to the RNAi group because it has turned out that many of the genes involved in RNAi are essential and they function in development. So there is a natural synergy there, and we are very intrigued by the possibility that some of the mysteries that we have been unable to solve on the developmental side may turn out to be related to RNA interference-like mechanisms or micro RNA function. It's exciting.

Ambion: Can you speculate as to why transitive RNAi does not exist in mammalian cells?

First of all, I would say that it is probably premature to say that it does not exist. It probably does not exist in all C. elegans cells as well. It is possible that it might exist primarily in stem cells or in the germ line cells, and it hasn't really been looked for yet. I think it is not only possible, but also likely, that RNA signals are transmitted from cell to cell in vertebrates, and we just don't have a handle yet on how to trigger it. I am intrigued by the work from the Hunter lab on the transitive RNAi gene, sid1, in that there is a human homologue and that there might be something like that happening in vertebrate cells, or at least some types of vertebrate cells. siRNAs may not be the transmitted RNA species. So if you are initiating RNAi with siRNAs, perhaps you will never see a transitive RNAi. I think we still have a lot to learn about how that happens. We may well find that RNA is in fact transferred from cell to cell, and we just haven't figured out the pathway that you need; maybe it is a different RNA species, maybe you have to trigger the RNAi in a different way, maybe RNAi does not work that way, but there are micro RNAs that are transmitted from cell to cell, so there is a lot to learn and certainly the possibilities remain open.

Ambion: Where do you see the future of RNAi heading from a basic research perspective?

There is still so much unsolved that the future right now is unpredictable. We have our hands full with the present. We haven't figured out what the components are of the major complexes that function in the various steps of RNAi. We don't know how RNAi is transported from cell to cell. We don't know exactly how RNAi is triggered in terms of dsRNA recognition and processing. We don't know the effector step in any organism. We don't know what the nuclease is. You could go on and on and on. Yet, I'd have to say that one of the most exciting things about the whole field is all of these different pathways that seem to utilize small RNAs and what mechanisms they play a role in. This whole area of discovery, to broaden our view, remains very exciting to me as a scientist.

Ambion: Who would you cite as your greatest scientific influence?

I've wanted to be a scientist ever since I was a little kid. I guess I would have to choose Darwin because the whole idea of the origin of life and the idea of natural selection was such a big part of my upbringing. My dad was a paleontologist, so as a very young kid I was intrigued by our place in the universe and where the heck we came from. I was very inspired by the mystery of life and how things evolve and will have to give Darwin the credit for getting me going. I don't think I would have thought of natural selection on my own (laughing). One of the other things that really got me, and I don't know exactly who did this work originally, was when the first DNA cloning was done. That was probably the inspiration that made me favor molecular biology and genetics rather than some other science.

Ambion: Just for fun, what is the last book you read?

Actually, I'm currently reading Greg Hannon's book, RNAi.

Ambion: And finally, what is next for Craig Mello?

I'm going to stay with C. elegans as a system. I think it is a great system, and it has a lot to teach us because it is a relatively simple animal, yet it holds so many unsolved mysteries. I'm not ready to say, okay, let's just go tackle this problem in vertebrate cells because I've learned through C. elegans that the complexity of almost any pathway is so great that it is easy to delude yourself into thinking you understand how it works. So my goal would be to continue to really get at these pathways using C. elegans, where we have very powerful genetics, and try to keep at that until we can't learn anything more, and that is a long ways off.

http://www.ambion.com/techlib/tn/111/15.html

Ambion: Tiến sĩ có thể cho biết đôi nét những lí do lịch sử về nguồn gốc của  bài nghiên cứu 1998 giải thích   RNAi trên Nature 391: 806-11?

Bài báo này quan trọng khi lần đầu tiên giải thích rằng mạch kép RNA có thể hoạt động như một  phát  súng đối với gen im lặng. Trước bài bào này, Ken Kemphues, trong khi cộng tác với học trò là Sue Guo, đã lưu ý rằng sự sửa soạn của RNA mang nghĩa hoặc không mang nghĩa có thể ức chế gen par-1 ở C.elegans. Không ai biết giải thích cơ chế thê  nào- đành gọi nó là  không mang nghĩa (antisense). Lab của tôi đã bắt đầu sử dụng kĩ thuật và nhận thấy nó không phải là không mang ý nghĩa và vì thế đã quyết định đặt cho nó tên mới do một số đặc tính khác mà chúng tôi tìm ra. Cho ví dụ, Sam Driver, một cử nhân ở lab,RNA antisense bảo tồn hiệu ứng can thiệp  có thể trải rộng từ mô này qua mô khác ở động vật. Em ấy nghiên cứu bằng cách tiêm, và chúng tôi tin là  em ấy đã tiêm vào mầm giao  tử, cốt là để can thiệp. Trong lúc tôi đang chỉ em ấy tiêm, giống như bất cứ người mới nào em ấy bỏ sót khá nhiều điểm, và tôi đã yêu cầu em ấy tiến lên và  gìn giữ những mô động vật đó để mọi người quan sát chuyện gì đã xảy ra. Ngày kế tiếp em ấy kiểm tra, và đủ tin cậy là can thiệp đã mở rộng tới mầm giao tử từ điểm tiêm. Sau đó quay trở lại, bỏ sót mầm giao tử một cách có chủ ý, và  sự thực nhận thấy rằng chúng tôi có thể can thiệp mở rộng khắp giới động vật. Đây là một phương thức can thiệp mạnh mẽ sử dụng một lượng rất ít RNA. Chúng tôi có thể pha loãng RNA kì lạ nói trên mà vẫn cho hiệu ứng.

Những cái khác cũng thực sự đáng chú ý rằng bạn có thể làm ngắt quãng hiệu ứng can thiệp ở một thế hệ và ảnh hưởng tới thế hệ kế tiếp. Chính sự bảo tồn này là thứ làm tôi quyết định lab của tôi phải nghiên cứu nó và khơi dậy một số khác biệt. Rõ ràng, bất cứ sinh thể nào cũng được di truyền và chuyển tải đầy đủ nhiều hơn một thế hệ là đúng và xứng đáng để tìm hiểu hơn nữa. Các thử nghiệm được thực hiện với một nhóm sinh viên tốt nghiệp khác, Alla Grishok, người nhận thấy hiệu ứng can thiệp có thể truyền qua trứng hoặc tinh trùng và hiệu ứng can thiệp được chuyển tải như một nhân tố ngoại lai và không cần phải có một locus mục tiêu. Điểm này chúng tôi lúc đó vẫn chưa chắc chắn nếu ở đây là rNA im lặng (siRNA) hoặc hiệu ứng của một số mạch kép RNA dài. Chúng tôi đã trình bày tại một vài cuộc gặp gỡ, và một trong những cuộc gặp  Andrew Fire  đã  tìm đến Sam và tôi đề xuất có thể là mạch kép RNA khởi sướng hiệu ứng can thiệp. Đúng như thế, Andy xứng đáng với công trạng nghĩ rằng đó là mạch kép RNA. Chúng tôi đã không nghĩ như vậy, thành thực như vậy, mặc dù tôi nghĩ Sam đã vừa nghiên cứu một số cách. Cùng với Andrew Fire chúng tôi đã có thể kiểm nghiệm một số gen, và bước đầu làm sáng tỏ dsRNA là nguyên nhân của nhiều hiệu ứng mạnh mẽ hơn thế.

Ambion: Vào năm 2002, RNAi được giới khoa học gọi là "  Bước đột phá của năm". Phải chăng tiến sĩ đã đoán trước được sự thịnh hành của phương pháp này ?

Không hẳn thế. Tôi cảm giác như có lợi ích tiềm tàng khi ở đây C.elegans  có đáp ứng với dsRNA. Nhưng trước đó 1998, không có lấy một lí do nào để nghĩ phương thức này giống nhau ở các cơ thể khác. Dĩ nhiên, chúng tôi đã đoán nó phải như vậy và ngay cả khi  rõ ràng đúng là như vậy. Nhưng chúng tôi nghĩ một uy tín to lớn phải  đến với người  đã đưa dsRNA vào những hệ thống khác và chứng minh nó có thể hoạt động. Chẳng hạn, lab của Rich Carthew lần đầu tiên cho thấy dsRNA hoạt động ở một cơ thể khác, côn trùng bay. Sau đó là nghiên cứu tốt đẹp của nhóm  Sharp, Zamore, Tuschel cho thấy dsRNA có nhiều hoạt động ở dịch chiết  Drosophila; và nghiên cứu hiển nhiên của Greg Hannon. Những người ấy xứng đáng có một uy tín lớn và thực sự không thể bỏ qua họ (Dr. Craig Mello cười). Đó là những người đã mở rộng kĩ thuật siRNA. Đó là những gì tôi nghĩ sẽ không thể bỏ ngoài tai những công trình nghiên cứu khác, họ đã có bước nhảy vọt đúng đắn và giải thích về dsRNA ngay cả trước lúc chúng tôi thấu hiểu cơ chế.

Bởi vậy nhìn lại  đó điều ngạc nhiên lớn.  Tôi có thể nghĩ trước lúc tôi cảm nhận ra sao vào 1998, được, chúng tôi phải giả thiết xa hơn nghiên cứu này và nhận ra nếu có một số phương thức chúng tôi có thể đưa dsRNA  vào hoạt  động ở những hệ thống khác bởi nó quá tuyệt vời. Nhưng tôi  đã không bao giờ sẽ mong đợi nó, vào lúc ấy, là những gì mà bạn có thể thực hiện một cách dễ dàng. Tôi nghĩ chúng tôi sẽ cần nghiên cứu nó nhiều hơn và nghĩ cần tốn nhiều thời gian hơn trước khi nó được ứng dụng rộng rãi. Thật không hẳn đáng ngạc nhiên vài năm trước khi bạn xem xét tât cả sự phát triển.

Ambion: Có phải hiện tượng can thiệp RNA đã làm thay đổi chỉ đạo nghiên cứu  của tiến sĩ theo mọi hướng ?

Nó đã  không làm thay đổi toàn bộ chỉ đạo, nhưng nó đã truyền toàn bộ chỉ đạo mới. Hiện tại, khoảng phân nửa lab của tôi đang theo đuổi nghiên cứu sinh học phát triển,  xác định quá trình chết  tế bào, và điều khiển tính phân cực tế bào ở C.elegans, trong lúc một nửa khác đang tiếp tục nghiên cứu RNAi. Như thế hiện nay có hai nhóm thực sự năng động trong lab. Đến 1998-1999, tôi chỉ khoảng ba người nghiên cứu RNAi. Nó thực sự khó thuyết phục một số người nghiên cứu nó.  Hiroaki Tobara, người đóng góp lớn đối với RNAi bằng màn lọc di truyền của anh ấy, thực sự đã muốn  nghiên cứu sinh học phát triển.Tôi hầu như đã khẩn cầu anh ấy thực hiện màn lọc di truyền, và anh ấy đã thực sự mang tới những phương thức tốt để nghiên cứu RNAi.

Facebook

Thống kê diễn đàn

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88aa
Back